On The Edge... Again
Fast Forward 32 years. Starting January 2, 2012, I am back on the ice doing something else that was unheard of .... Adult Figure Skating. We had "coffee club", which was like adult swim, but there was no opportunity for testing or competition.
It has now been 8 years since I got back on the ice. I have not competed since 2016 , but my blog is still going. My YouTube channel has over 1600 subscribers. That’s just crazy!
Monday, July 16, 2012
Saturday, July 14, 2012
|At the wall with my coach Berkley during warmup|
|Skating out getting into starting pose|
Here is how it went down:
What went wrong:
- My legs were shaking from warmups to end of my program
- I did a Waltz - Waltz instead of a Waltz - Toe Loop (kind of planned with my coach moments before we went on the ice)
- My spread eagle ended too close to the wall (out of the sight of the judges)
- My salchow-loop was way smaller than normal
- My straight line sequence was on a diagonal (I was trying to get back to the center of the rink)
- At the end of my crooked footwork sequence I two-footed the flip
- Then I made up the ending unlike what we planned
- The music ended… I was still skating for 5 seconds and omitted a pivot for the sake of time
- Camera failed for hubby 30 seconds into it.
- I skated
- I did not fall
- I actually enjoyed about 20 seconds of the 1:50 of it…
- It's over
- I'm not discouraged and want to try again
Thursday, July 12, 2012
On Thursdays during summer the Lilac City FSC does what they call "Pops". Anyone in the club can run their program once. This was a great opportunity for me to try out my program before the competition day with people watching.
My legs were shaking beyond belief. I definitely messed up, however I did not fall and I landed nearly all my jumps, however small.
- The sit spin wasn't low enough and I exited wrong
- After the sit spin I was supposed to do a back crossover, 3 turn to forward crossovers then start the spiral sequence closer to the blue line than the middle
- The first jump element was supposed to be a waltz-toe instead of just a waltz jump
- I forgot my transition step from that jump leading to the spread eagle.
- The spread eagle was cut a little short
- The salchow-loop needed more speed, height and a stronger landing
- The step sequence needs to be quicker and more defined
- After the flip jump at the end of the step sequence I forgot my transition steps
- After the lunge I forgot my transition steps leading to the final scratch spin
- I am hoping for a better back pivot and holding my final pose longer
- Throughout the program my hands are not extended straight out to the fingertips
I did recover, but my skating for the rest of the session was a waste of time. I couldn't get through my newly finished program, nor could I do my combination jumps.
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
I had a 1 hour lesson today to complete the program needed for this Saturday's competition: "Well Balance Free Skate - Adult Bronze". What this means is NO BACKSPIN REQUIRED !!! Yes!
Fortunately I am not competing against anyone this time and it is my very first competition EVER in my life. So I just want to get through with the bare minimum requirements.
|Jumps Max 4 = I have 3 with 2 combinations of 2 jumps each|
Spins Max 2 = I have 2
Step Sequence = Yes (Spirals will be counted as transitions)
My program (now complete) has the following *required elements in the following order:
- Opening position - forward pivot - bent knee spiral - inside edge - Ina Bauer to
- Sit *spin (spin #1 of 2) forward crossover
- RFI Spiral (to be counted as a transition), 3 turn, 2 back crossovers
- *Waltz - Toe (jump #1 of 3)
- Transition steps: 3 turn, back crossovers, back edge, Spread Eagle
- *Salchow - Loop (jump #2 of 3)
- *Footwork Sequence (mohawk, back 3, mohawk, cross step, fwd 3, falling leaf
- *Flip Jump (jump #3 of 3) ..... The one I fell on!
- *Scratch spin (possible Attitude)
- Ending in a back pivot
Monday, July 9, 2012
I'm a full fledged member of AA = Alcohol + Advil
All I did today was run through my program over and over again. Sometimes I got all the way through sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I FELL. Tomorrow I have a 1 hour lesson. My next video should be a complete program.
Sunday, July 8, 2012
I skated with a skirt today and plan to for the rest of the week in preparation for my competition this Saturday. I have told too many people about it and I must make an attempt at it - no matter how badly I do. With any luck .. it will actually have a beginning - middle - end before Saturday!
Just as I was leaving the rink I saw Sylvie Cloutier who skates at my rink. She just passed her Adult Gold MIF and is now working on the Standard Test Track - Intermediate MIF. I'm so jealous.
I took some video of them practicing.
Saturday, July 7, 2012
I'm still sick. I think it has blossomed into a sinus infection. One more day and I am going to take an antibiotic. My energy is dismal. I thought I would stay on the ice and just walk through my program and try and improvise and create the missing elements and steps and arm and hand movements, but I simply skated around and around and couldn't pull any creativity out of my mind or soul.
On the ice there today was a coach, Karin Kuenzle-Watson and about 5 young skaters under her direction. I think they are part of the Inland Northwest Figure Skating Club. They regularly skate at EWU in Cheney. Here she is holding her gold skates. She was wearing them today while she was coaching a very young pairs couple and 3 other young single skaters.
Thursday, July 5, 2012
|Schedule -- Diane Rudnick|
|Saturday, July 14, 2012|
|7:40 AM||Practice-ice (Practice) - Mixed A||Eagles|
|3:50 PM||Free Skate (6.0), Adult Bronze (Ladies)||Eagles|
I am sure they have a good reason for not putting me on any of the other practice sessions. Namely at 12:35 p.m. or 10:20 a.m. or 8:10 a.m. It says I am in "Mixed A" group. There is also a B and a C and D group. Maybe it has to do with skating levels. I know I paid for this practice session, but I will do much better if I sleep in, eat a good breakfast, relax in my hot tub and then go skate for an hour at another rink from from 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. It's only 1/2 hour from my house and I will be much more warmed up.
I somehow managed to contract another cold or maybe the last one never left and was just festering within me. For the past 2 days I have been drinking hot tea and honey, taking Benadryl and going through 2 boxes of Kleenex. << How's that for product placement? Aaaaachoooooo.
I thought skating would help. I felt pretty ragged out there today. Kept the jumps to a minimum and tried working on some spins and pivots and connecting steps for my STILL UNFINISHED PROGRAM!!!
My coach should be back in town and I hope she can schedule me for a really long lesson or two before next Saturday .... it's my only hope.
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
I captured most of my practice today and I practiced a bit harder than usual, purposely trying to get a workout, warm muscles and then try to run my program. I cut 25 minutes down to 12 by cutting out all the "recovery" time in between trying different elements.
I ran my program twice without music in my headphones. I attached the audio later, so the timing is off and the program runs long.
A few new things appear on this video. A Camel Spin and a Waltz - Loop combination.
Sunday, July 1, 2012
Something is up with this iPhone. The Droid was so much more reliable for video. Sometimes it doesn't focus. Sometimes it shoots sideways and I have to take the time to turn it around when I upload it. Today it did both. I am posting the only thing that captured well.
Not sure if it's the ice or me or both, but my spins today were really shaky. Especially the Sit Spin as I got lower down to the ice.
I tried putting my arms straight out as someone suggested to me for better effect and it threw me off. I will try again tomorrow.